“The Organisation” refers to the Indigenous Language Action Forum and any of its subsidiaries. “You”, “your” and “user” refers to any individual person accessing the website.
- Introduction and acceptance
The terms and conditions stipulated in this disclaimer govern your use of the website. By using this website, it is understood that you understand and agree to the terms and conditions in full. Should you disagree with these terms and conditions to any extent, you must not use the website.
- Positioning and values
- ilaf.co.za is an online information platform for users of the indigenous languages of South Africa;
- Values: Information takes place within a specific range of preferences and our content reflects that;
- Inclusive value framework: Based on respect for all people, the style and content of conversations will be influenced thereby;
- Individual freedom: Every person has the right and freedom to express him-/herself and is also responsible for him-/herself in this regard;
- Free community formation and association: Every person has the right to freely associate and express him- or herself with a specific community;
- Balance between problem and solution: The Organisation will always strive to find the balance between problem and solution and display the full picture;
- Alternative opinions: The Organisation will at times publish opinions not necessarily shared by The Organisation or which are outside the scope of The Organisation’s positioning and values in order to encourage further discussions or for the sake of taking the debate to the next level;
- Assessment: Content will maintain a civil tone. Readers might at times see it as challenging, but it will never be provoking.
Unless otherwise stated, the following words or phrases have the following meaning:
- This website: refers to the Indigenous Language Action Forum’s website, ilaf.co.za
- The user: refers to any person visiting and/or making use of the website, also acknowledged as the “you” or “your” as stated in section 1. Parties.
- Written text: Written content of any nature published by the organisation’s domain or any of its sub-domains which include, but is not limited to, news articles, press releases, e-mail messages, data, reviews or any other internet posts.
- Visual content: Images that convey a message by making use of a visual format that include, but is not limited to, fine art, graphic art, photos and/or infographics generated by the organisation and/or is owned by the organisation.
- Multimedia products: Video productions, films or any other product that combines the use of sound and images.
- Sound products: Interviews, sound recordings of discussions, music, radio programs and/or any other sound clips produced by the organisation and/or are owned by the organisation.
- Spoken texts: Speeches, lectures, interviews, minutes etc. produced by the organisation and/or are owned by the organisation.
- Combining of content: Any content from different resources combined for republication or is rewritten to which new content is added and that recognises the original source.
- Cookies: A small text file, usually 4KB in size, stored on a user’s computer either temporarily or permanently on the hard drive. Cookies recognises a user and tracks a user’s preferences on a website.
- Content Policy
The Organisation will always strive to, as outlined in the South African Press code:
- Act with integrity;
- Acknowledge resources used;
- Guarantee the anonymity of the source if so desired by the source;
- Acknowledge and give credit to photographers or the origin of photos;
- Place the interest of the reader first;
- Provide information as objectively as possible.
- Participation by users
Anyone can participate and comment as long as comments are fair; free of racism and sexism, homophobia, any other forms of hate speech, crude or foul language. Comments must be civilised and conform to the value system of The Organisation.
Deliberate disruption of discussions, including irrelevant, provocative statements (i.e. trolling and/or flaming) will not be tolerated.
Stalking of other participants is not allowed.
Repeated posting of irrelevant information or links to irrelevant websites is not allowed.
Racist or sexist comments, or comments that are otherwise offensive or discriminatory, are not allowed.
Comments must be relevant to the information published.
Comments that promote hate speech, encourage violence, include crude or foul language, is slanderous or blasphemous, will not be tolerated.
The Organisation reserves the right to remove any comments that do not adhere to the terms and conditions of this policy.
The Organisation reserves the right not to inform the user, nor provide specifics as to why a comment or comments were deleted.
The Organisation reserves the right to disable the comment function without prior notice.
The Organisation reserves the right to block serial offenders from this website.
Complaints will be investigated by The Organisation and will be judged on merit.
- License to use this website
Unless stated otherwise, The Organisation and/or its licensors own the intellectual property rights in this website and material on this website. Subject to the restrictions set out in these terms and conditions, you may view, download for caching purposes only, and print pages from this website for your own personal use.
Republishing or distribution of any written text, spoken text, visual content, multimedia products and/or sound products produced or owned by The Organisation: The Organisation must be cited as the original publication medium of the text and/or product used. An active internet link must be published when republishing and/or distribution of any text or product on this website.
No content is allowed to be used for business purposes without the written consent of The Organisation. Use of any of The Organisation’s text and/or content for television and/or radio reporting purposes: The Organisation must be recognised as the source of the information provided.
Multimedia products and/or sound products produced by The Organisation and made available on this website may not be reproduced in any way, published on another website or websites, burnt to CD or written in any other digital format, or used for commercial or non-commercial purposes to listeners or any other persons or institutions whatsoever, unless expressly made available for redistribution by The Organisation.
Hot-linking of any type of content or product on The Organisation’s website is also strictly prohibited and will be regarded as theft, as The Organisation will have to carry the cost of such an action.
Any ideas of The Organisation, published or unpublished, exploited by any person (corporate or natural) is regarded as plagiarism and/or intellectual property infringement when presented as his/her own work. Ideas can include, but are not limited to, written text, spoken text, visual products, multimedia products and sound products. The Organisation reserves the right to institute appropriate legal remedies against alleged offenders in this regard.
The Organisation reserves the right to refuse access to any IP address regarding access to this website. Should any activity that might carry potential risk, like DoS-attacks, spamming, hacking, irregularities or unauthorised access be suspected, The Organisation will take the necessary steps to ensure the integrity of this website, including preventative steps like throttling and/or blacklisting of suspected offenders.
- Acceptable use
You may not use this website in any way that causes, or may cause, damage to this website or impairment of the availability or accessibility of this website; or in any way which is unlawful, illegal, fraudulent or harmful, or in connection with any unlawful, illegal, fraudulent or harmful purpose or activity.
You must not use this website to copy, store, host, transmit, send, use, publish, or distribute any material which consists of, or is linked to, any spyware, computer virus, worm, keystroke logger, rootkit, Trojan horse or other malicious computer software.
You must not conduct any systematic or automated data collection activities, including, but not limited to scraping, data mining, data extraction and data harvesting on or in relation to this website without The Organisation’s express written consent.
You must not use this website to transmit or send unsolicited commercial communications.
You must not use this website for any purposes related to marketing without The Organisation’s written consent.
- No warranties
The website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties express or implied. The Organisation makes no representation or warranties in relation to this website or the information and materials provided on this website.
Without prejudice to the generality of the foregoing paragraph, The Organisation does not warrant that:
- This website will be constantly available, or available at all;
- The information on this website is complete, true, accurate or non-misleading.
Nothing on this website constitutes, or is meant to constitute, advice of any kind.
- Limitations of liability
The Organisation will not be liable to you in relation to the contents of, the use of, or otherwise in connection with, this website
- For any direct, indirect, special or consequential loss; or
- For any business losses, loss of revenue, income, profits or anticipated savings, loss of contracts or business relationships, loss of reputation or goodwill, or loss or corruption of information or data.
Nothing in these terms and conditions will exclude or limit any warranty implied by law that it would be unlawful to exclude or limit; and nothing in this website disclaimer will exclude or limit The Organisation’s liability in respect of any:
- Death or personal injury caused by The Organisation’s negligence;
- Fraud or fraudulent misrepresentation on the part of The Organisation or
- Matters which it would be illegal or unlawful for The Organisation to exclude or limit, or to attempt or purport to exclude or limit, its liability.
- Other parties
You accept that, as a limited liability entity, The Organisation has an interest in limiting the personal liability of its directors, officers and employees. You agree that you will not bring any claim personally against The Organisation’s directors, officers or employees in respect of any losses you suffer in connection with the website.
Without prejudice to the foregoing paragraph, you agree that the limitations of warranties and liability set out in these terms and conditions will protect The Organisation’s directors officers, employees, agents, subsidiaries, successors, assigns and sub-contractors.
- Unenforceable provisions
If any provision of this website disclaimer is, or is found to be, unenforceable under applicable law, that will not affect the enforceability of the other provisions of these terms and conditions.
You hereby indemnify The Organisation and undertake to keep The Organisation indemnified against any losses, damages, costs, liabilities and expenses (including without limitation legal expenses and any amounts paid by The Organisation to a third party in settlement of a claim or dispute on the advice of The Organisation’s legal advisers) incurred or suffered by The Organisation arising out of any breach by you of any provision of these terms and conditions, or arising out of any claim that you have breached any provision of these terms and conditions.
- Breaches of these terms and conditions
Without prejudice to The Organisation other rights under these terms and conditions, if you breach these terms and conditions in any way, The Organisation may take such action as The Organisation deems appropriate to deal with the breach, including suspending your access to the website, prohibiting you from accessing the website, blocking computers using your IP address from accessing the website, contacting your internet service provider to request that they block your access to the website and/or bringing court proceedings against you.
The Organisation may revise these terms and conditions from time-to-time. Revised terms and conditions will apply to the use of the website from the date of the publication of the revised terms and conditions on the website.
The Company may transfer, sub-contract or otherwise deal with The Organisation rights and/or obligations under these terms and conditions without notifying you or obtaining your consent. You may not transfer, sub-contract or otherwise deal with your rights and/or obligations under these terms and conditions.
If a provision of these terms and conditions are determined by any court or other competent authority to be unlawful and/or unenforceable, the other provisions will continue in effect. If any unlawful and/or unenforceable provision would be lawful or enforceable if part of it were deleted, that part will be deemed to be deleted, and the rest of the provision will continue in effect.
- Entire agreement
These terms and conditions constitute the entire agreement between you and The Organisation in relation to your use of this website, and supersede all previous agreements in respect of your use of this website.
- Law and jurisdiction
These terms and conditions will be governed by and construed in accordance with South African la wand any disputes relating ti these term sand conditions will be subject tp the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of South Africa.